Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Must You??

I know it’s human nature to mainly remember the positive aspects of the past but I’d have to say that when I was in high school back in the late 1970’s to early 1980’s, times really were so much simpler and more innocent.  I’m not romanticizing those high school years because they were rather cruel and unhappy and I escaped the misery as soon as I possibly could by starting college during my senior year.

No, what I’m talking about is the moral culture of that time.  Looking back, it seems almost laughable what used to raise eyebrows and caused a ruckus in the small town I grew up in. I remember one of the biggest hush, hush secrets or poorly hidden rumors was that a girl a year ahead of me was having an affair with the school coach.  He ended up quitting, or being fired, she quit school and last I heard, had gotten married.  It was a big deal back then.  If I told someone about that incident now I would, no doubt, get a blank stare of bored indifference.

There were a few pregnancies and a couple of rumored abortions and again, they were whispered about in the halls between classes, although I will say when the Homecoming Queen was crowned, she was within her 1st trimester which made things interesting.  And these were the girls the rest of us losers were supposed to envy and emulate.

There were the cool rebels who huddled together in the designated smoking section, under the oak trees.  Once in a while I’d hear about some kid who got a hold of some pot and passed it around over the weekend during some beer party. Then there were those who had to push the rules and smoke in the bathrooms between classes which added a certain je ne sais quoi to the atmosphere of dirty floors strewn with used paper towels and un-flushed toilets.

There was never any mention of snorting cocaine, much less shooting speedballs, heroin, methamphetamine or PCP.  Only the real loonies had access to LSD and they weren’t in high school anymore.  Yep, marijuana and alcohol, especially beer, were the hardest substance abuse problems.

No one and I mean NO one, talked about homosexuals.  Ever.  No boy ever came to school wearing barrettes and eyeliner, pontificating that he should have been born in a female body.  No girl walked around in combat boots, eyebrow piercings and tongue studs talking about what she did to her girlfriend the weekend before.

Had that happened, that person would probably have either been beaten silly by the tough guys or would have been suspended and picked up by the cops before their black nail polish had a chance to dry, never to be seen or heard from again.  It just never occurred to anyone during that era to dress or act like that.
The days we are living in have certainly changed, and not for the better!  Now, high-schoolers especially in public schools, schedule threesomes and it’s a given that you simply aren’t cool unless you have your own sex tape circulating YouTube.  

If you or your daddy has a meth lab in the garage, it’s the bomb, baby!  And going to school is just someplace to hang out, avoid the cops and conduct business in drug dealing unless, of course, you’re getting busy with some teacher in the janitor’s closet.

Even those things sound quaint upside stories I see in the news every single day.  Within the last month alone, I have read of two mothers habitually selling their little 5 and 6 year old girls to grown men for sex so Mama can earn drug money. 

And then, there is the popular rise in bestiality.  Ah, geesh people, must you??  Really?  One married couple and the wife’s boyfriend were searching Craigslist for a dog she could have sex with while they video taped it because she had always wanted to do that.  Fortunately, they were corresponding with an undercover cop and were busted, thank heavens!  

Then there was the teenage kid who agreed to care for his neighbor’s pit bulls in exchange for money to finish his GED.  While the dog owner was napping, other neighbors witnessed and taped the kid in the kennels, raping two of her prize dogs.  During the day! 

The cops came to her door and alerted her to what happened but she didn’t believe them until they showed her the tape.  She was speechless with outrage that someone she had taken under her wing, given fair employment to in order to assist him to further his education, would betray her in such an egregious way.

Of course, there are the geezer farmers with their sheep and pigs.  They should keep up with the times because there are cameras everywhere.  Now, I just have to ask a question here…

What kind of lame, pathetic, loser, deviant, pervert or...or…What kind of human being does this stuff??  I know it’s occurred during mankind’s history because those who did this were to be stoned according to God’s law in the Old Testament.  So, like Ecclesiastes says, there is nothing new under the sun.

But doesn’t it seem the incidences of these revolting acts seem to be occurring more often?  Like I said before, back when I was in high school, you never even heard of people, grownups included, speaking of gays, much less the proliferation of these befouled, beasty, bum-buggers!

The Bible warns us multiple times that in the last days, morality will degenerate to an all time low but it seems to have happened so gradually that, with the aid of constant media coverage and acceptance, there is very little that is shocking anymore.  I am ashamed or perhaps I should say, saddened to admit it takes quite a bit to shock me these days.  Isn’t that a pity?

Now, when I hear that old song from 1973, Smokin’ in the Boy’s Room, I have to snicker.  Just think.  That used to be as bad as it got…


2 comments:

Ross said...

It is true. Are we back in the days of Noah yet? I was just saying to my wife that the United States is heading towards the lifestyle of Joseph Kony. It is not just murder and rape anymore, it is beyond evil. To get caught up in a disagreement and kill someone doesn't even get a reaction anymore. It has to be a vicious mutilation or the woman has to be raped by twenty guys for a school project. I have no words for the time we live in and can't even imagine the next 20 years for my daughter. I love when I am lectured on how people are basically good....really? I will go with what God says about human beings. I look forward to the next tree hugger giving me the lecture on tolerance while yelling at me that I am wrong about God because God is a loving God that won't send people to hell because people are basically good? Can't wait. I can go into a loving debate with tons of facts about people, or just turn on the Tv and say,"whoop there it is".

cj said...

Lord have mercy! Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse!! Come quickly Lord Jesus!